I’ve never been a big fan of New Year’s Eve. Don’t get me wrong, I love to dress up, drink champagne, and sneak a midnight kiss as much as the next gal. But the high expectations and general pressure of making NYE the most amazing night of the year just seems… forced. What I do love is New Year’s Day. I truly believe that fresh starts are possible every day of the week all year long, but there’s something so clean and full of promise and possibilities on January 1.
Every year as December is winding down, I think about my goals for the coming year. They usually include resolutions around losing weight, taking the time to try new recipes, or actually opening my mail when I get it instead of letting it sit in a pile on the kitchen counter for weeks. And while there’s nothing wrong with these types of resolutions, I decided to try something new this year.
In 2011, former Google software engineer Matt Cutts gave a TED Talk about trying something new for 30 days straight (watch it here). This cool way of short-term goal-setting is originally the idea of American philosopher Morgan Spurlock, and the idea is that 30 days is the perfect amount of time to add a new habit or remove an old one. Not only is it a way to try new things, but Matt found that the practice of 30 days of something new makes each month more memorable and rewarding. So for 2018, I’ve decided to take on the 30 day challenge, and I invite all of you to join me!
These 30 day goals could really be anything, from taking a cold shower each morning to writing a novel within the month! Here are some ideas of 30 day challenges you can try to make 2018 memorable and fun:
1. Get up when your alarm goes off (no hitting snooze!)
2. Take a cold shower every morning
3. Facebook free month
4. Meditate every morning
5. Journal every day
6. Read 20 pages of a book every day
7. Keep a gratitude journal (write down 5 new things every day that you’re grateful for)
8. No nail biting!
9. Exercise every day
10. Cut out coffee, soda, caffeine, and/or alcohol
11. Fully acknowledge 1 person every day and tell him/her why you appreciate them (it can be a text, email, phone call)
12. Drink 60 oz of water every day
13. Go to bed at a reasonable time
14. Throw out one item you don’t need every day to declutter your home
15. Don’t wear any makeup
16. Take one picture every day
17. Use the duolingo app to practice a foreign language for 10 minutes every day (https://www.duolingo.com/)
18. Take a 30 minute walk every day
19. Try a new recipe
20. Watch a TED Talk – it’s a great way to get new ideas and hear others’ viewpoints
21. Take the stairs every chance you get
22. Wake up early
23. Don’t complain for the entire day
24. Perform a random act of kindness
25. Tell your significant other something you love about him/her
I’m excited to try some of these for 2018! Let me know what ideas you have for 30 days of something new and share in the comments.
Here’s to a happy, healthy, beautiful year full of possibilities!